View Single Post
Old 04-29-16, 12:58 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Well, that was a new experience. Over lunch I rode from the office to a client's location. Part of the route took me on 4 miles of MUP that runs along a diversion channel. As I was riding along I saw a few geese with some goslings in the grass along side of the path.

Having experienced this many times before, I moved to the other side of the path. It's not uncommon for the geese to be aggressive and hiss and spit. Sometimes they even run towards you. Either side of the path had a steep embankment, so I didn't have any way to put more distance between me and the birds. But as I said, this is common so I prepared for the usual reaction.

This time, however, was different. Not only was Mother Goose not backing down, she actively came after me. I blew my Airzound at her hoping the noise would at least startle her, but she didn't even flinch. I started cranking as fast as my legs would spin, but the goose took off and waged a full-on air assault. I could feel her wings flapping against my back and head, and her claws rubbing in an attempt to spur me.

After about 50 feet she relinquished her attack and went back. I came through it unscathed, but surprisingly shaken up. Let's just say I'm going to be pretty wary around the geese on the way home.