Old 04-30-16, 07:21 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4345

First option I have looked into, freight style bicycle Bullitt with Bionx around $6100. This option will allow me to do 85 - 95% what I would use a car for (work, school, projects, commuting and possibly in an emergency.)

Or

Buy a used car, I will need to learn to drive. $50 Permit, --> $400 for driving lessons (it reduces insurance costs), $80 for ODL,,, insurance, gas, car $3000, maintenance/ up keep and possible fixes. I estimate around $10,000. (this can do everything I'd use transportation wise, sadly)

I live in Portland, Oregon and test drove the first option along with one that had shimano sTEP. So it is pretty bike aware and somewhat friendly and I already commute via bicycle 95% of the time. I pretty much understand the ups and downs of owning a car, but I was hoping someone can help me with the ups and downs of the first option. Is a Bullitt with bionx a good option, or are there others that I should look into?
If you need an electric bike that cost $6,100, you're better off with a scooter. You can buy a good one for half that price, insurance is less than a car and you don't have to worry about recharging.

What are your public transit options in Portland? You know they have cartogo and Zipcar in Portland right? If every cab ride cost $50.00 dollars, you can afford 200 rides with 10K!! Find out how many times a month/year you need a car and factor how much it would cost to use ZipCar, Rent a car or call a taxi as alternatives.