View Single Post
Old 04-30-16, 09:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Maybe I should start a charity to fly me to San Marino, then ride across the entire country of San Marino

I think there is at least one hill in the middle
Maybe I should clarify for those incapable of reading between the lines...

As Machka pointed out, if a cyclist or couiple is/are serious about cycling to raise money for charity, there is extensive planning of the route, and scheduling to be done before the tour even starts. There is liaison with the charity itself, to set up an account where cash can be deposited. Then there is organising venues to make presentations to communities along the way. Let alone turning up the venue after a day or more of riding in what might be inclement weather. Organising any audio-visual presentations, and handing out promotional material that has to be lugged along and kept in good condition, or sent on ahead.

I have read blogs of people who have entered into such arrangements, and often they have been exhausted at the end of their "holiday".

I am talking about the people who are seriously committed to their cause. But then, I am not surprised by the cynicism shown by some here as they display it like a badge of honour in almost every post they make.

As a footnote, Fat Guy Across America has been the subject of five or six threads across various BF sub-forums, and each and every one of them has been shut down because of the divisiveness that they have created. I am sure everyone here can identify some charity ride they can hold up as being a sham of some sort, but like most things, one bad example tars every good one with the same brush. Shame really.