View Single Post
Old 05-04-16, 07:26 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 67 Posts
This is the same paint style that is on my '72 (or '73). My Campy NR derailleur (which I think is the original) says "Pat 72" on it. I've eventually replaced all the non-Campy with parts with period correct NR parts (including French thread BB, seatpost, headset and brake drop bolt) so the whole thing is Campy to correspond with the "Grand Record" name of this model. Figured it was only appropriate to do that!

Originally Posted by jpweissman
This black and red Motobecane Grand Record fell in my lap soon after finding and converting a mint- metal fleck silver Panasonic Sport 1000 c.'83 to a wonderful bike... so the bike found me in a good mood...
On the Motobecane, the rear derailleur has a patent date of 1972 but the black and red paint doesnt match anything Ive seen on-line or in catalogues with the head tube remaining black and the lugs; red with gold detailing- as well as an all chrome fork.
The front wheel (and seat) are new (sadly) Im wondering if the fork was replaced somewhere along the line due to an accident or wear or was an original option at the shop way back when.
Any advice on info on the year and restoration suggestions to treat small rust spots on the frames underside are greatly appreciated!
Attached Images