View Single Post
Old 05-10-16, 03:55 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by champignon
Thanks for your suggestions.

Not having seen a Brompton in the flesh, I am of course limited in my reaction however from what I have read, Bromptons are like Bike Fridays, in that they cost more than they are worth when one looks at the components and what you get for what you pay. I could probably afford one, but I am a cheap bastard at heart. Also, the trips I would take the bike on are NOT bike touring trips, rather they are largely gastronomic and wine-related trips to France, where I try in vain to exercise enough not to come back looking like Bibandom, the Michelin Man, or to visit family in San Diego. I hesitate to spend several thousand dollars on a bike that it might turn out I don't use all that much. And if I get completely infected by the bug of bike riding on these trips, then I could always sell or give away whatever I buy now, and buy something better in a year or two. But I do want to prove to myself that I'll actually use the thing enough to justify a big purchase price, something I have yet to do.

If I was to buy a Brompton, since I do pass through London Heathrow on my trips to France, perhaps there would be a way to buy one in the UK at a lower price and have it delivered to me in the airport en route to France, but then it (probably) would still be considerably more expensive than I want to pay at this point.

thanks again
Your description of yourself and your "cheapness" makes me laugh. No matter, this thread is old but the basic problem remains - folk want something for nothing. Why go to France to drink French wines and to eat French foods? Why not drink Californian wines and eat at posh restaurants in your state? After all - France is overpriced wrt food and drink in that : "in that they cost more than they are worth when one looks at the components and what you get for what you pay". Your quote, and your set of values. Travel costs, otherwise we should just stay home, eat cheap foods and read national geographic magazines that we get "for free" from a library. We all do things our own way - and I am no exception.

I have 2 custom built touring bikes that cost over $3000 each and have been superb for touring in Australian outback conditions. But, for less rigorous travel with a companion who suggests a "more cultured" way of travel, I figure two Brommies is the way to go when renting a car and travelling in Canada, the UK and France. Buying used in the UK is cost-effective too but the search and effort does take some time and risk... Doesn't sound like you did not want to do that. What happened eventually - bicycle, food, wine, and otherwise?