WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't think you are being fair to both sides of the discussion. When someone criticizes Rapha and its customers/acolytes, it isn't necessarily looking down or vilification. In my own case what is being criticized is the notion of the Rapha level of clothing delivering value commensurate with its price. If some folks can extol the company, and you have to agree that there is no shortage of that, surely others are free to point out its perceived faults without being called petty.
Criticizing someone who purchases Rapha often (but not always) comes within the context of they paid too much for something (made a foolish decision, the person is not an educated shopper, etc.) and the company is often characterized as actively ripping people off selling them an image.

So yeah, my language was a little strong, but the sentiment is still there.

Personally, I like high end stuff but can't generally afford it at full price. This is why sales exist. But at the same time, Performance brand bibs do the job and I understand if people don't see the value in buying anything more expensive than that. So I will pay more, even at sale price, and people will say "look at that idiot poseur wearing Rapha" while I smile and wave at them in their PrimalWear Froot Loops Jersey and think, "Hey, I LOVE Froot Loops!"