WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I will stipulate that no one makes better cycling clothing than Rapha. I will also contend that a few other companies make cycling clothing just as good as Rapha does. I further contend that at least some of those competitors charge less than Rapha. My only purpose is to point out that even those folks who insist on that level of style, perfornance, and/or durability can obtain it more cheaply than by buying Rapha. And if we talk sales, we have to compare apples to apples, i.e. sales by all such purveyors.

If you are making the best goods you know how to, and they are still not better than your competitors' products, how do you distinguish your brand? How do you make it seem even better than it already is. One of the most effective ways has always been to simply charge more than the other guy. It works every time.
No doubt. That's why in my initial post I said that the put on a strong marketing game. Marketing = brand building = you're gonna have to pay extra for that. I've seen many other unashamedly "Rapha-esque" manufacturers that people on these and other forums seem to like. I hit up their website and find that yes, they are definitely less expensive but often the Rapha sale price is lower and the refinement is lacking on the non-Rapha stuff.

Honestly, I see the upcharge of full price as them making back marketing costs and by the time they go on sale, it's a reasonable price for the product considering R&D and production.

The other thing about Rapha is that lots of people assume it's all retro wool romantic type stuff and Euro-hipsters without helmets riding in the Alps, but their race and technical kit is really phenomenal stuff. I have one of their Pro Team line jerseys in BLACK that I wear in the dead of Texas summers and I have never worn a jersey that has kept me cooler. And the fit is amazing due to the cut along with the fabric that is impossibly next to skin without feeling at all tight. It's a really, really good jersey.