View Single Post
Old 05-16-16, 01:41 PM
Jerrys88

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter S
If you depend on eye contact to know that a car will give you the right of way then don't. Some people, especially those not used to bicycles, will look you right in the eye and then hit you. They just don't correctly judge the speed of your bicycle in some cases.
Good point, Walter, and this is why I wrote "I assume the driver does not see me and will not stop for me UNLESS I make eye contact with them, with clear confirmation that they will let me pass."

This is one of the very few exceptions I make when it comes to relying on eye contact to make right-of-way decisions, but even then, one should never trust drivers 100%.

When I approach intersections under normal circumstances (i.e. riding on the right side of the road) I AVOID making eye contact with drivers approaching or stopped and waiting to proceed from side streets, and I consider it dangerous to do so (to make eye contact). Why? Because it sets up a situation of ambiguity. Does eye contact mean they see you and will let you pass? Or does it confirm to the driver that you see THEM and are going to stop?

My method is to keep my head DOWN, absolutely NOT make eye contact, and NOT slow down (another mixed message), but at the same time, keep my eyes glued on their vehicle (out of the corners of my eyes), hands on brakes, ready to stop at any moment. It helps as well to move more to the center of the road as I approach if I can (mirror helps here!), as that will put me even more in their "check for cars" zone. I have to think that it also helps that I wouldn't dream of cycling on the road without hi-viz clothing, although I don't count on it.

One general note about advising someone just starting out commuting by bike or road cycling in general. When I decided to start bike commuting, I bought a book about safe cycling and read it carefully. I learned a lot that way, and would recommend anyone starting out do the same. (I don't remember, however, ever reading anything that advised me not to make eye contact at intersections as I just described. That's something I figured out from experience).

Last edited by Jerrys88; 05-16-16 at 02:45 PM.