Old 05-17-16, 06:33 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
I've only had Campy for about a week but so far it hasn't been an issue. Because of the shape of the levers and position of the thumb button I have not problems reaching it with my fingers when I'm in the drops. It's also nice to be able to hold the paddle when in the drops but you can also do that with SRAM and have easy access to up and down shifts. With that said, having now ridden all three I still like the overall feel and performance of Shimano shifting
I pieced together my 5700 group just finding deals on eBay. While I was watching for parts the MicroSHIFT shifters I'm using came up on auction that I won for ~$30 shipped. With 5700/6700 shifters selling in the $125-$175 per set I thought these were worth a try because of the different actuation and ended up really liking them, except for the side exiting cables. Compared to the only other STI's I've used (Claris 8 speed) these are far more sturdy and even smoother requiring less effort to make shifts but nothing what I expect from the newer and higher level STI's such a 5700 or better.

I mean to upgrade and use my current 10 speed group on a resto I want to build but I'm very indecisive when it comes to spending significant amounts of money. 5800 is a great value, 6800 is better but is it worth the extra cost for me and I'd really like to go electronic but when I start thinking about the cost of that group I'm deep into the cost of a 4.5 Domane which I think would be the perfect bike for me. And then it comes back to I'm really liking the bike I just built and I don't want to spend $2500. Being trapped in an analytical creates some vicious cycles, lol.