Old 05-18-16, 09:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5801 Post(s)
Liked 2,619 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
You actually think his haphazard wrap of epoxy, fiberglass mat, and wire is going to make any difference, one way or another, to the future progression or not of that headset crack?
No, and I believe my first post on the thread reflects that. I don't think it'll help much, though it might a bit. As I posted earlier, as the proud owner of 2 bikes with the same problem, I've elected to do nothing at all (for now). The OP's method may be better than my do nothing approach, or it may not. But I'm pretty confident it won't do worse.

However, I don't criticize people's DIY solutions on their own bikes, unless I feel obligated to warn of a clear and imminent danger. It's their bike, and their own decision about what makes sense, and they're the only ones the decision affects.

So, let's take your premise that the crack will continue despite his repair. So, what will happen? and why all the criticism on this thread? Even if we assume that the totally split tube is some sort of safety issue, the fiberglass windings may act as sort of a safety net, so it's not all bad.

In summary, while I'm not in the OP's camp regarding his repair, I'm more for him than against.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.