Old 05-19-16, 08:27 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
I was thinking more along the lines of including rated capacity. That way the bicycle is still going to be under $5/yr, (Realistically; unless you're in Kansas, you're not going far with more than 500lbs total weight including rider.) while the heavy duty truck and flatbed trailer gets taxed based on how much it can carry, rather than just its empty weight. Maybe a discount for legitimate passenger use heavy vehicles, like 16-passenger vans, as long as they're maintained in the passenger configuration.
rated capacity is a factor in commercial registration (as I understand it but I could be wrong). I was only considering private vehicles. However, as I qualified in my post, if the model is proportional It'd be something I'd consider favoring/promoting. For private registration, I was thinking that the manufacturer listed weight would be a simple way of supplying the data.
I do like your thought about considering a discount for multi-passenger vehicles.
Anything to discourage single-occupancy motor-vehicle use and encourage alternatives is a plus.