Old 05-20-16, 09:46 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Chest thumping nay sayers put in their place? Wow. This is a discussion forum... where ideas get discussed and that sometimes means people don't automatically agree with your idea.

I don't use a tracking system because I am not filled with fear when I go on a bike tour and don't want to be controlled by other people who are filled with fear. I can take care of myself is the message I give my friends and family and they just have to live with that. I also have no way of tracking them every minute of the day when I am on tour and could not tell you if my wife was locked in a closet or if my mother in law fell down and broke a hip. They are grown ups and just have to solve those problems for themselves while I'm away... If they can be expected to, why can't I.

This is really a problem of the smartphone generation where people feel the need to be connected 24/7. Having not grown up in this era I feel no need. I don't think that's chest thumping, just my opinion based on my belief and experience YMMV.
Why invoke fear?

Like you, I grew up, toured, went camping, hung out in bad neighborhoods, and neglected to wear clean underwear on a regular basis for decades before cell phones were a common necessity. Not only did I survive, but I thrived. I developed a strong sense of independence and self-reliance that continues to serve me well today.

That doesn't mean an electronic check in or tracking is a bad thing. I'm reminded of my adopted grandfather who grew up farming 40 acres one row at a time with a mule (literally). When he finally had to quit farming (to take care of his wife), he was driving an air conditioned tractor with a 2 way radio, stereo, and ergonomic seats. The first day he planted with a 12 row planter, he climbed down from the cab and said "Anyone who talks to you about the good old days is full of $hit! THESE are the good day!"

I don't use live track or carry a cell phone because I'm in fear. I do those things for the same reason I carry a patch kit and a multi-tool. I'm simply covering the bases.

FWIW, my wife and mother-in-law have cell phones, too, and if no one hears from them for an extended period of time, we go check on them. That's not fear, it's just recognition that being "checked on" from time to time is better than spending days laying in te floor with a broken hip.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton