Old 05-20-16, 04:41 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
I flew to Seattle with my bicycle recently. I was definitely not impressed with the bike lanes in the area. The examples I saw were too narrow, about three feet, and were either in the door zone or next to tall, square curbs (in which case, the three feet wide bike lanes included the gutter). I found the sharrowed roads to be better suited to bicycling.

To be fair, I didn't have time to ride as much as I would have liked (I was there for business, not pleasure), so it's quite possible that the sample of roads on which I road were not representative of the infrastructure Seattle has to offer. Also, most of my riding was in the Seattle metro area, but not in Seattle proper, instead on the other side of Lake Washington.
It depends on the location, I'm 15 miles south and east of Seattle, and what few bike lanes we have are spotty at best, but none are only 3 feet wide, that's unusual.