Old 05-21-16, 08:12 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flinstone
I didn't know the word, but yes "sharrows" are good. They seem surprisingly (maybe) effective at changing driver behavior. I think there are a couple of different mental issues at play there. Even as a driver myself, it doesn't hurt to have that little visual cue that mentally places me in a scope where cyclists exist, and I think it helps with the ant-cyclist vigilantes too. Also in comparisson a separate lane is something drivers can simply put out of their mind and forget to put back in it when they turn right. It's right next to them and yet mentally invisible compared to the reminder that cyclists are in the road.

As for people using bike lanes but still complaining about them.. that's perfectly legitimate, and not hypocritical at all, and IS the issue in fact. If a lane is bad or dangerous, it's still there, and drivers will honk or become aggressive or at least less patient and give less space if you don't use it, compared to if the lane wasn't there. People get a "use the darn bike lane" attitude. So no, there is nothing wrong with saying you don't like the bike lanes, and still using them. You get to choose between negative driver attitude or doors and reduced driver awareness of your presence.
A. Sharrows aren't good. Study: Sharrows Don?t Make Streets Safer for Cycling | Streetsblog USA

B. Your argument for sharrows and against bike lanes make absolutely no sense. Something tells me you've never actually ridden in traffic before or been around bikes in streets before.

C. You also seem like you have complete disregard for actual facts.