Old 05-24-16, 09:35 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by vdub6541
Hi everyone,

Here's my current project - a 1993 Supergo Access Comp XTR (Supergo was the Performance house brand). I got just the frame on the local craigslist, and have been building it up as a single speed drop bar mountain bike. This is how it sits right now, with the wheels off of my other mountain bike (I will be building the wheels for this one this week). I'm a little concerned about the length and negative angle of the stem. I was hoping someone here would have a suggestion of a zero-rise or very small rise quill stem that would put the bars a little bit closer and higher to me? Probably 100-120mm.

Some details of the build: not strictly a vintage build, but a budget build that would be good for some Austin, TX single track.

Frame: Double butted True Temper OX Ultra II, 18"
Fork: 80's stumpjumper fork, biplane crown
Wheels: Deore LX m560 hubs laced to WTB dual duty rims, set up tubeless with Vredestein 26x2.2 Black Panther tires
Cockpit: Tioga TBone stem, Ritchey drop bar, Cane Creek SCR5 levers
Brakes: Suntour Scott Pedersen self energizing cantis (front) and Deore LX M560 rear cantis.
Drive train: Bontrager crankset, 38/20 or 36/18 front/rear cog

I'm enjoying this bike so far, and can't wait to take it to some trails. I'll have more pictures when it's done!

Looking good so far. Another option with a threaded fork is to use a threaded to threadless stem adapter and a threadless stem. That makes it so much easier to swap stems to arrive at exactly the stem length/rise you want.

I can get threadless stems inexpensively at the bicycle co-op in the city next to mine. wee don't have a bicycle co-op but it's only a little iver an hour to road-bike there.

Cheers