Old 05-25-16, 11:55 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
- Its SRAM Rival components are lighter than the Ultegra Di2 components on the Roubaix (200-700g advantage, depending on whose scale you trust)
I think you might be getting Rival mixed up with SRAM Red or Force. The Rival groupset weighs more than Ultegra, not by much 0.1-0.2lbs depending on whether GXP or BB30, @Jarrett2's will be GXP. Of course the Roubaix doesn't have full Ultegra groupset...

EDIT: OK, so I missed this "Di2" part, yes the Di2 Ultegra is very slightly heavier than the Rival groupset, by <0.1 lbs.
- It's using a high-end, light-weight carbon fiber fork (500-1000g advantage over a steel fork)
Yep, so does my road bike. A 330g CF fork in fact. Many steel road bikes use CF forks, just like aluminum road bikes do. In fact, if you're going to recommend an aluminum road bike, a CF fork is a must over an aluminum one!

Do an apples-to-apples comparison without a fork swap and the "steel" bike ends up with a 1-2 pound weight advantage due to component selection. Most steel bikes the OP could afford will also include a steel fork which means gaining another 1-2 pounds of weight (2-4 total).
So does adding lead weights under the saddle. The fact is my steel road bike weighs about the same as @Jarrett2's, and my fellow riders often talk about it like "oh I'd like a steel bike but I like my lightweight CF too much". Then I ask them to lift my my bike and their bike, and they're surprised by the major lack of difference in weight.

BTW regarding "Most steel bikes the OP could afford will also include a steel fork", I bet the OP can afford this steel road bike with a CF fork:

Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio PRO

Last edited by dr_lha; 05-25-16 at 12:11 PM.