Old 05-25-16, 11:23 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
EDIT: OK, so I missed this "Di2" part, yes the Di2 Ultegra is very slightly heavier than the Rival groupset, by <0.1 lbs.
I think that's only true if you believe the manufacturer's lies. In the real world, the weight difference is a half-pound or more, not the tenth of a pound you're claiming. I installed Ultegra Di2 on my road bike and it's heavy! Definitely weighs more than 105; I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the same weight as Tiagra. Even if the component weights are identical, the steel bike is still missing hydraulic disc brakes, pedals, and a bottle cage. Until you add that extra stuff to the steel bike, you're not doing an apples to apples comparison so suggesting the weights are similar is decidedly dishonest...

Yep, so does my road bike. A 330g CF fork in fact. Many steel road bikes use CF forks, just like aluminum road bikes do. In fact, if you're going to recommend an aluminum road bike, a CF fork is a must over an aluminum one!
If you want to argue that steel is competitive, weight-wise, against carbon then you should compare the weight of a steel fork on a steel bike against the weight of a carbon fork on a carbon bike. Saying that you have to add a carbon fork to your steel frame to make its weight competitive is admitting defeat.

BTW regarding "Most steel bikes the OP could afford will also include a steel fork", I bet the OP can afford this steel road bike with a CF fork:

Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio PRO
I doubt the OP is going to find a BikesDirect bike at his local bike shop.

Which steel drop-bar road bikes available at an LBS include a carbon fork? Specialized, Felt and Cannondale don't seem to sell any steel road bikes. Trek and Felt sell steel touring bikes, which come with steel forks. REI's Novara line-up include three steel bikes (Safari, Mazama, Randonee) all of which include steel forks. Jamis is about the only option for a steel frame that comes standard with a carbon fork. The Quest Elite and Quest Comp are possibilities, though it looks like the closest Jamis dealer is over an hour from the OP.