Old 05-26-16, 12:08 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I think it's important that the OP understand when he's being misled, and the pictures of the Roubaix/Gunnar comparison were definitely misleading since no mention was made of the missing components nor the differences in component selection. Let's also not forget that while the "considerably less expensive" description is accurate, the Gunnar is still way out of the OP's price range. His budget would allow purchase of a Gunnar frame and Enve fork... but he couldn't afford the wheels and components necessary to turn it into a working bicycle.
He's not being misled. He asked about steel and carbon fiber bikes. Those are two examples and what they weigh. The only reason I posted that is because you said steel bike are 4-5 lbs heavier and I clearly proved they are not. Want to see an even lighter steel bike?

Here's a 9.94 lb steel bike:

Can you show me a carbon fiber framed bike that is 4-5 lbs less than that? Hell, can you show me a carbon fiber framed bike that even weighs less than that?

The steel weight discussion is a complete side bar to what the OP is asking about and really a waste of time. It's been debated ad nauseum on other subforums.

But, if the OP walks into a store today, that Roubaix is one they might show him. Actually, the one they will show him will be even heavier than that one as that one is too small for him. The steel bike shown is closer to his size. If that Gunnar in the picture was a 56, it would weigh even less. But if he opts for a less expensive carbon fiber bike, it is going to be even heavier still as they are even heavier than the Roubaix in the picture. My Gunnar is lighter than the equivalently priced Roubaix. But weight isn't really that pertinent if the OP is looking for a first road bike and is not planning on racing it.

Also, as dr_lha has repeatedly said, the carbon fork stance is just silly. Plenty of steel bikes come with carbon forks. You can put a carbon fork on any road bike and it doesn't change the frame material.

Back to the original question, the OP initially asked about a $3,700 Rivendell to begin with, then said $1,200 maybe $2,000 for the right bike. I pointed him to a couple of places that can build him a steel bike for that price range and told him what to look for on Craigslist as well. The rest was just you taking it off the rails and various folks proving your statements incorrect.