Old 05-26-16, 03:08 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Comparing a laptop to passive tracking is like mixing apples and oranges.
Apparently, you missed the point. The point was that some people see being connected as being tethered. Others can use being connected to free themselves.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You use the example of not having to tell your wife when you change you pre planned route but just as equally she could worry more because you changed your pre planned route. What's going on, why did you do that, is there something wrong? Seems a phone call or text will be needed for an explanation regardless. If I said I was riding to town A and the tracker says I'm in town B does that minimize concern or exacerbate it?

But really, I would ask why does your wife need to know you changed your route by 30 miles or why she would need to know where you are all the time. Do you know where she is 24/7? How does that positively impact her or you in any meaningful way? My wife knows I'm somewhere between point A and point B. If I need her, I'll call. Otherwise all's well.
I'm happy you and your wife have a system that works for you. I'm sorry, however, that you can't see why some people might appreciate or make use of passive tracking. It seems pretty obvious to me. But to avoid the inevitable "you didn't answer my question" post - My wife is not micromanaging my rides. She's not that concerned about why I decided to change my route midway through a ride. She simply wants to know where to start looking if I don't show up when I am supposed to. Passive tracking is one way to accomplish that.

I don't know where she is 24/7, but we do each have a pretty good idea where to find the other at any given time, and we check in if our schedule or route meaningfully deviates from what is expected. This isn't from fear or inability, but in our family is simply seen as common courtesy. It also proves practical for things like planning dinner, tending to unexpected errands, etc. In the unlikely event one of us should go missing, it provides a starting point for the search.

This isn't that hard to figure out. If this all sounds unattractive to you, you'll note the lacke of insistence anyone else adopt this practice. Live as you want to.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton