Old 05-29-16, 07:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fort Worth's bike sharing, and overall bicycling vibe, seems to be promoted successfully by a convergence of factors:
  • * Bike rental stations at many public transportation stations around downtown and toward the popular cultural and touristy outskirts -- the museum district, Stockyards, Trinity Trails and popular parks, etc.
  • * A geographically flat downtown (the outskirts are progressively hilly, although never mountainous).
  • * A reasonably well planned downtown revitalization that's been going on gradually for 20 years. It attracts visitors and locals to rent bikes from the local bike share plan.
  • * A current mayor who's a cycling enthusiast herself (Betsy Price), and participates in many cycling events year 'round.
  • * Retirees who are active cyclists and promoters of cycling.
  • * Younger adults riding their own cruisers and hipster bikes in the revitalized neighborhoods near downtown.
  • * Active groups of mostly middle aged cycling enthusiasts leading and participating in weekly and more frequent group rides around the downtown and nearby areas in the evenings and at night.
  • * A decent combination of bike lanes and sharrows, particularly in Fort Worth and adjacent Benbrook just to the SW of Fort Worth.
  • * Fairly effective social media updates (could always be better, but it's not bad).
  • * Signs to remind motor vehicle drivers to share the roads with cyclists. I've seen these as far west as Willow Park, a semi-rural area 20 miles west of downtown. Fort Worth is putting up even more bicycling signs.
  • * Lots of supportive bike shops at all levels of the economy (although, alas, it appears Benbrook Bicycles is closing shop this week -- it's one of the more affordable shops that carried good used bikes).
  • * Not least (or last, I've just run out of ideas), our local bicycle mounted law enforcement and private security folks. They help set a good model. And they accompany some group rides. When drivers see uniformed cyclists, it conveys an important message.

This stuff doesn't happen successfully without a concerted effort -- or at least a coincidental effort -- by many factions. In Fort Worth a lot of credit goes to the self-directed groups who sponsor public rides several times a month.
I lived in Irving Tx in the late 80's, 90's, mostly working in the Dallas area and just a little in Ft Worth. Bicycles weren't on my radar at the time but I have a faint recollection of hearing that Ft Worth or at least parts of it were favored by cyclists. I never learned exactly why that was so, other than people in general having a different style or attitude in Ft Worth. Not in such a crushing hurry on the roads.