Old 05-31-16, 12:42 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
So what kind of bike was the winner riding? We all know that races aren't won by the bike. They're won by the rider. And people who want to go fast and win normal (aka not fat bike specific) races generally don't race on fat bikes. (Yes there was that one guy who won the open cyclocross race a few years back with a fat bike.) Where did I say that I didn't like fat bikes? Where did I say you were wrong? Why are you putting words in my mouth? Fat bikes are the SUV of the biking world. Big, comfortable, slow. Unless, of course, you're riding in the very specific conditions where fat tires are better, sand/snow. In EVERY other situation there are bikes that are better suited for the conditions and will allow a particular biker to go faster. Riding on snow and sand is still slow even on a fatbike when compared to typical off road riding. (Whether it be gravel grinding or mountain biking.)

I personally love fat bikes, I'll just never buy one because I have bikes more suited for the conditions I ride in, and fat bikes are hideously expensive for what you get. However, they are FUN to putz around on. Other bikes are just more fun at what they do. Riding a fat bike down a mountain bike trail is a novelty. It's "interesting." But that's it. My cheap mountain bike would do it with more finesse. A more expensive bike would do it a hell of a lot faster, with less rider fatigue. My gravel grinder is much better suited for going fast on gravel and dirt roads. A fat bike would handle the washboarding with more comfort, but the gravel grinder will be faster.

Oh and I'm sure I would be faster with that bike, considering it's an electric mountain bike. Which, of course, comes in many styles all of the way from fat bike to 27.5+ bike (pictured) to traditional mountain bike.

You are correct, you did not say I was wrong for liking fatbikes and you have never stated a dislike for fatbike. I made an overstatement based on a number of post in this thread and the other one. I am sorry for putting words in your mouth.

The fastest riders on the Almanzo 100 ride gravel bikes, of course, and the winner rode the 100 miles faster than I can ride 100 miles on a road bike on pavement. So being first is an unrealistic goal for me. My competition is my finish last year.

To restate your point, it's about the correct combination of the rider, the bike, and the conditions/course; the correct combination is key to being your fastest/best. I have ridden the Almanzo on both a fatbike and a gravel bike, I had a better result riding a fatbike. That's because the Pug plays well to my strength and weakness. I'm weak on descents, the Almanzo has many steep descents (over 10%) with loose gravel. The Pug allows me to keep pace with other riders on this fast downhills, and I don't have to fight for the good line. I'm a strong climber, so on the steep climbs, I have the engine to pass riders on lighter bikes. Therefore, I do take offense to the repeated use of "slow" to describe a fatbike - this was the fastest bike for this rider on that course.

OTOH, next month, I will be riding the Westside Dirty Benjamin, I will use the gravel bike for that ride. That's because this race is mostly flat with mostly hero gravel.

BTW - I was trying to be funny with the electric assist bike - sorry if the joke missed the mark.