Old 06-04-16, 01:29 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
I'm sorry, but are you actually suggesting that I don't buy a second bike. If so, I sense you are not long for these forums....

Your idea of switching out the tires makes sense; but the tires that are on there are perfect for most of what I do.

A lot of my desire for another bike is spurred by:
  • Wanting a bike that fills the gaps
  • Wanting another bike
  • Wanting another bike

But your advice is noted, and I thank you for it.
N + 1 is a trap a lot of riders fall into. As my wife often reminds me, you can only ride one bike at a time. I know of some cyclists that are constantly rotating through bikes, or who have different bikes for different uses. (commuter for commuting, mountain bike for off road, road bike for fast club rides, etc...) But there are some riders, including myself who have bought extra bikes thinking they would find a use for them, only to watch their new purchases collect dust in the garage while they ride their favorite bike 99.9% of the time. Among the purchases over the years include a vintage Schwinn (because I thought I would really love going back to downtube shifters. I didn't), a Bianchi Milano (because I thought I would use it to ride to coffee shops and around town. Turns out it looked better than it rode, and I found myself going more often than not back to my 1997Bianchi Advantage because it is both more comfortable and faster.), and currently, an early 90s Trek 930 (same idea as the Bianchi, and because I liked the idea of riding an American made Trek. Alternately, I thought maybe my son might like it. My son appropriated the Bianchi Advantage and doesn't really like the Trek all that much. As for me, I am just used to the fit of my Salsa Casseroll, and I have only ridden the Trek 4 times in 18 months. Though I did lend it out twice, so it has been ridden 6 times in 18 months.)

As for the your tires, Schwalbe Big Apples are fine tires, but extremely heavy. (like 800 gms or more per tire) Not saying you should go with super skinny road tires, but you could probably find a reasonably durable and comfortable tire in 32 or 35 mm that would do most of what the Big Apples can do at half the weight.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-04-16 at 01:37 PM.