View Single Post
Old 06-05-16, 02:24 PM
Corbin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I live to ride another day (I hope).

That was rough. Too much, too hot.
First 50 I did with my brother second solo. I was looking behind me around the 75 miles mark waiting for a cyclist I could wheel suck. Looks like they all decided it was too hot as I didn't see a bike from about 10 on.

I saw a dude with white arm and leg warmers on... I guess for sun protection.

I had to make multiple "rest" stops on the second 50. I was suppose to pace myself @ zone 2 but through that right out the window.

I noticed around mile 85-90 I stopped sweating. @ 92 I pulled off debating the dreaded phone call.
A federal park (or was it land) police pulled over and asked if I was alright. He said he's seen cyclist passed out before and offered me a ride to the other side of the highway where town was. I figured with him stopping any pride was gone (I guess not enough to take the ride though) so I asked for anything sugar to which he gave me a Gatorade. I hope he knows how much that helped.
I thought I was bonking at that point and maybe was but now that I'm home and showered. I have not ate nor am I hungry. So was it just the heat getting to me or partial bonk?

At 95 miles in I got goose bumps? What? Surely a death omen right?
My heart rate was elevated higher than normal but didn't get out of hand.

So long story short. If you have the money move to Denver between May and June and come back to the valley around October to November.

I don't think I'll be going riding too much above 100°. Thankfully my schedule is flexible so I can night ride or early mornings.
I also don't seem to like going past 50 miles. Perhaps once my physical fitness improves.

To all those that gave advice, thank you. I'm still learning and sometimes the hard way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/599805086/overview