View Single Post
Old 06-06-16, 06:26 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick94804
Arghhh, that just makes my experience worse. I have a set of 32mm gatorskins on Velocity Deep Vees and they're making me lose my mind. I can't get the tire on w/o f-ing up the tube. I loathe these tires.
I realize everyone wants life to be easy but in this case easy can be dangerous. The tougher it is for a tire to go on a rim the less likely it is for the tire to come off the rim in the event of a blowout or a very fast leak. Most riders don't realize this, they just don't want the pain and cussing involved putting on a tough to install tire so they look for one that goes on like a wet noodle, except they don't realize that that tire will roll right off the rim with very little resistance and then your skidding along on a bare rim crashing and burning, or at the very least damaging a rim.

I don't happen to like Continentals for a different reason but I've always found Armadillos to be very difficult to put on due to their stiff and puncture/rip resistant sidewalls vs Conti's paper thin sidewalls which is the reason Contis were so easy to put on was due to the paper thin sidewalls. Specialize Armadillo sidewalls are so resistant to gashing I once, for an experiment, ran a Armadillo All Condition rear tire that I had wore out to the cords and then it flatted which I then proceeded in riding it flat for 5 miles, (I did stop ever so often to check for rim damage and there was none), after the 5 miles and being home I checked the tire for sidewall damage and there was none, I can't say the tube wasn't damaged but the tube was old and had 15 patches on it so I didn't care.