Old 06-10-16, 01:32 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
If I understand correctly team US(well women's team pursuit) has been a part of the development of the new Felt, but I feel really sorry for team GBs sprinters. "-Here's your new pursuit bike. -But, but I'm a sprinter! -Well tough, deal with it!" I'll be really surprised if Kenny rides the match sprint and Keirin with the new bike, no time to get used to it.
It has happened before.

Rebecca Twigg (USA) refused to ride the GT Superbike in the 1996 Olympics:

Technology: Flop, Flop, Fizzle, Fizzle | Outside Online

At last summer's Olympics, gold-medal favorite Rebecca Twigg refused to pilot Superbike II, the wondersteed that was to prove America's technological prowess to the world, saying it handled horribly on the track. In the end, USA Cycling's $5 million Project '96 resulted in just one paltry silver medal. How could we have spent the GDP of a small island nation on such a dismal flop? The fun is in the details.

First, there was the matter of the bike's ultrathin frame. Aerodynamic, to be sure. But five weeks before the Games, members of the pursuit team heard a...troubling sound during a test ride. Seems one of the vaunted frames had cracked. "We had a high-stress area," admits engineer Scott Gordon.
Twigg complained that she didn't receive her bike early enough to test it.
LOTS of fingers were pointed:

Still, there are those who say that the project was a success. After all, Superbike II produced the Americans' fastest times ever. "To believe the bicycle was going to make the complete difference was illusion," says its designer, Forrest Yelverton. "We have the best bicycle on the planet. We didn't have the best athletes." And so we come to the bottom line: The Superbike squad--with only two real contenders (Twigg and time-trial silver medalist Erin Hartwell) and such fossils as 43-year-old Kent Bostick--had little hope to begin with. "Everybody says the project was a disaster, but we got what we deserved," Bostick says. "We need a better pool of athletes, so somebody like me doesn't win the trials."
OUCH!!

*Note: Back then, they had Olympic Trial events where if you won, you earned a spot on the Olympic team.

More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Twigg

The federation had invested in the development of the so-called SuperBike. Twigg, after using the bike earlier in the Games, refused to ride it, citing poor individual fit and claiming that pressure from the staff on her to use the SuperBike and their refusal to grant accreditation to her personal coach, Eddie Borysewicz, left her defocused.
I think this was the bike she rode before being offered the Superbike:

Look familiar?