spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Catherine99
Lots more helpful advice and some incredibly encouraging stories from others who picked up riding after a time being out of shape.

I'd like to reply more personally but my laptop is frozen and I'm reduced to mobile at the moment.

I've ridden just under 6 miles each of the last 3 days and last night I hopped on at around 11 just to breeze around the block a few times & ended up doing over 4 miles then so that put me over ten for the day and I feel totally fine. I seem to be acclimating very quickly and am getting a sense of how I'll be in fine shape for the trip by the time it's here, just as you all said.

Today is very cool, not to even hit 80, feeling crisp out right now and breezy. I think I will try for a longer ride. I'm beginning to learn what routes are smoother/less bumpy/less obstacles and that makes riding longer easier. That first 7 mile day that wore me out was a pretty uncomfortable route it turns out.

The trip is (nearly) officially booked! I sent the request, just waiting for confirmation tomorrow. And I ordered some chamois cream from Amazon after reading about saddle sores & such, I'm fine so far but better safe than sorry! And hopefully I'll be taking rides long enough to warrant it soon enough.

I will inquire about the bike model & saddle as Aidoneus said, though I will have to return here with the response to have you help me understand what it means to me since I really don't know as a real noob.

Again, I can't thank you all enough. Nicest, most helpful group I've ever interacted with on the web or real life. And by far the best reading comprehension on any Internet forum. Bike riding must make a person smarter and extra good natured. All the more reason this is a good pursuit for me lol
Good to see you are starting to ride. More than likely you won't need the chamois cream but it doesn't hurt to have some along just in case. I have thousands of miles and can only remember once or twice when I had an issue. Hot sticky weather is what gets me on my butt. For future reference, good old fashioned petroleum jelly will do you just fine and is probably better for dealing with the issue after you have a problem. You might want to add a small tube to your supplies.

You mentioned supported tour? So I assume they will be carrying most of your gear? If so you still might want to have a day bag like a nice sized handlebar bag for snacks, camera, sunscreen and your chamois cream. You should practice riding with it to get used to the added weight. For certain, ride with bags and gear if they are not hauling your gear.

And get yourself a second water bottle. Better having too much water at the end of the day than not enough.

And again PLEASE see your doc before going on the trip. If you haven't had a tetanus shot in some time it might be a good idea to get one. You will be on a bike trail and volunteers usually do a pretty good job of keeping them clean and safe, there is always that chance of a stray rusty nail.