View Single Post
Old 06-15-16, 09:06 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Did something gloriously dumb today.

A young (24) co-worker of mine, bike commuter (8 mile trip), intrigued by but completely inexperienced with long distance riding, decided a couple of months ago that dammit, he was going to scratch that itch while he can and do a loooooong ride. Bought himself a Trek 520 and all the trimmings, and has been working to build strength and stamina. He has been on some club rides, and been "destroyed", but a little less severely each time. Up until today his longest ride ever was 61 miles, done last week. He decided that today he was going to try a century, and in spite of the fact I had to work tonight, I got up early and together we lit out from my house for Montauk. And......HE DID IT! He was pretty stoked to have knocked off 104 miles. Great ride on a fantastic day. We had to hit a 251pm train, and unfortunately we lacked the time to get to the lighthouse even though we had the legs. Next time.

So we stopped in town, toasted his achievement, and set out for the LIRR station with 15 minutes to cover the mile or so. And, HIIISSSS! I flatted almost immediately. Next train was at 10 something. Records were broken fixing that flat. We made the train. I'm at work.

And about that loooooong ride; in a week he and a friend are pointing their bikes at the Pacific Ocean. I'll be rooting for them.

Where's the coffee?