Old 06-17-16, 07:40 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Consequences & Incidentals for Safe Passing Space law?

Are there any unintended consequences for Safe Passing Space laws?

What about riders going up alongside long lines of traffic jam cars to a stop light. Do the passed cars then all have to move over to another lane?

I note with this practice that cars usually do slide over and around bikers at least a couple feet as they repass them. Such bike behavior is more consistent with an acceptance of "I'm off a bit to the side here and we can both share this lane."

I've seen various feet-numbers for these laws -- 3, 5, 7.

I'd think the goal is to get drivers to change lanes completely when the space is there. If the space isn't completely open then is "lane splitting" going to be an accepted point of training?

I'd think the goal is to get drivers to share the space amongst themselves w/o infringing on Vulnerable Users.

The various footages would seem to relate to US lane-widths. Are our lanes fairly consistent in width number? Is there a standard?

I've ridden in Europe and on other small unmarked country lanes. They aren't 2 full lane widths wide but cars can easily share the road and pass each other. Then they drive on the crown until they meet another vehicle. In short, lanes are actually quite wide.

It seems like drivers need to be educated about how wide their vehicles are compared to the lane width then be confident about squeezing left in their lane to give a biker more room. If there are 2 lanes -- even including the oncoming lane -- then perhaps they should be encouraged to "push" other drivers over some while always giving "unimpingable" space to Vulnerable Users. The training should be: always squeeze drivers before squeezing a Vulnerable User. This would be a huge change for US drivers but I think they're ready for it since it makes total sense and puts value on human life. ...It's far better to have two car mirrors come close to each other than to squeeze a biker.

Will all new "safe passing space" law come with HUGE initiatives in retraining drivers about how easy it can be for cars to move over? How huge their excess space is?

This might also come with consequences for SUV/pickup drivers: they do NOT get any extra space for their larger vehicles. By buying wider they only buy themselves more delays. No other user has to make room for them. ...They don't get wider parking spaces, they get fewer options. Same w passing. Are there plans in place to increase such education and PR?