View Single Post
Old 06-17-16, 01:36 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Neither were over-shifting, both were twigs getting thrown into the cage and jamming the pulleys. Dork disc wouldn't have saved these derailleurs. A close look at the red bike and you can see the twig in the cage (out of focus).

The red bike did OK, replaced hanger (great improvement in bike design!) and trued the cage, back on the road without issue.

The green bike took a bigger hit, a dork disc *might* have saved the rim, but this bike needed new wheels... so I'm not too upset. The LBS has able to get the hanger bent back in place. The Campy derailleur was wreck, happily I found a NOS replacement. Chain was also wrecked. The most upsetting part is the damage to the paint.

I get the dork disc, I'm just not a fan. I'm attentive to the derailleur stop screws so overshifting isn't an issue. On the rare occasion when a twig gets into the cage... well that's just bad luck and things are going to get messed up with or without the disc.