Old 06-21-16, 08:15 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastturtle
Probably I come too late into an extinct thread but nonetheless.

On gears : an easy change that should make things a little bit more comfortable is swapping the 11-32 cassette for something like 12-28. Less big holes between ratios.

Overall, being exhausted during this long return leg against the wind makes me think of a pattern: You are tired. You are not really sweating consciously so you forget to drink, and against the wind you do get dehydrated. So you get more tired without noticeing it. You stiffen your arms and shoulders. You forget to lift your butt from the saddle from time to time.

In difficult conditions like those you have to consciously force yourself to drink frequently, and to relax those arms and shoulders. And those shoulder and back issues will also improve with exercise.
There used to be a time when forgetting to drink would be an issue. I am pretty good about this now. I am thinking my biggest issue was too much weight, both around my tummy and on the bike. Being more conscious in this area now. I am curious on why you say to move to a rear cassette that does not allow a lower gear inch? If it hadn't been for the granny gears, I might not have made it. I will say that I am looking at a used Roubaix with a 12-28 Utegra groupset. Maybe lightening up my gear, body and bike will ensure a longer brevet next time.

Last edited by Fullcount; 06-21-16 at 08:19 PM.