Old 06-21-16, 09:08 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Help me here guys. I'm a regular on the tu-thurs hammerfest group ride. It's a suburban area so we have lots of stoplights and stop signs.

There are a few hammerheads who will blow full gas through a stop sign, or haul ass on a yellow light, leaving the back half of the group to either slam on brakes or run the red.

I have had quiet, serious conversations with these guys. There are only a few of them. I told them, in effect, cut it out. When you're on the front of a group on open roads, you are responsible for their safety when you make a traffic decision. The people behind you are on the wheel, trusting that you are watching the road.

Tonight the lead dickhead blew through a stop sign with a right turn and there was oncoming traffic. We are talking about a 40 rider group full speed into a turn and there's a car coming.

I suspect the motivation is competitiveness, of course. Nobody wants to stop when they are stringing out the group, showing everybody how strong they are.

Anyway. Ideas?

- talking doesn't seem to work
- other ideas?

Thanks.

- from Texas where's it's too hot for this crap.
is this one of the houston rides that goes through downtown? yeah, I've done it, and wasn't a big fan of that ride. the group is waay too big for down town traffic. If I were one of the organizers, I would try diving up the group into the competitive field and a more casual field.

if it's a huge group, it might be wise to make an announcement to remind people to chill out and be considerate of the world around them.

Last edited by spectastic; 06-21-16 at 09:12 PM.