Old 06-21-16, 09:23 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Help me here guys. I'm a regular on the tu-thurs hammerfest group ride. It's a suburban area so we have lots of stoplights and stop signs.

There are a few hammerheads who will blow full gas through a stop sign, or haul ass on a yellow light, leaving the back half of the group to either slam on brakes or run the red.

I have had quiet, serious conversations with these guys. There are only a few of them. I told them, in effect, cut it out. When you're on the front of a group on open roads, you are responsible for their safety when you make a traffic decision. The people behind you are on the wheel, trusting that you are watching the road.

Tonight the lead dickhead blew through a stop sign with a right turn and there was oncoming traffic. We are talking about a 40 rider group full speed into a turn and there's a car coming.

I suspect the motivation is competitiveness, of course. Nobody wants to stop when they are stringing out the group, showing everybody how strong they are.

Anyway. Ideas?

- talking doesn't seem to work
- other ideas?

Thanks.

- from Texas where's it's too hot for this crap.
lets just say sometimes I go on a certain fast ride in Norcal.. a ride that recently had a fatality and we were talked to by a CHP officer the following week and people still acted as always.. blowing lights.. passing farm vehicles on the left.. on and on.