Thread: Help a newbie
View Single Post
Old 06-23-16, 12:16 PM
jgw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the local shop gives a 10% off all accessories with bike purchase. I figure helmet and whatever I need to deal with a flat tire is bare minimum on accessories. I just spoke with a guy from my church who is into cycling to see what store he recommends (he was excited to hear that I wanted to get into riding), he really likes the local store I went to, knows the owner fairly well and spoke highly of their customer service. He also gave me some tips on what to ask for, particularly that I want a bike that will suit me well that I can grow into a bit.

My goal with cycling is ultimately fun, adventure and a good way to burn off stress, seems like a great way to spend and afternoon or weekend. Exercise to increase energy, endurance and fitness would be a shorter term goal and burning calories for weight loss are just a side benefit.

As far as weight loss I understand all too well that what I eat has a bigger impact on my weight than how much I exercise. Counting calories is not where I am at right now but I have got a few rules that guide me well. One does not get to 320 lbs without some skill at eating garbage. Some of my rules are, If it comes through my car window I should not eat it. No soda. Period. It is my great achilles heel, only water and milk right now. No eating after 8pm. Each week I try some new fruit of vegetable in place of something processed I was eating before. If it comes out of a frier I should not eat it. The fresher and less processed something is the better. If I can cook it and know whats in it and control whats in it, then I can eat it. Seconds are a no no, they are now called leftovers for another day.

So far these rules and a little intelligence helped me through losing 30 lbs. At some point I am going to count calories but right know I am teaching myself how to chose and like healthy options instead of just eating a bag of doritos by myself.