View Single Post
Old 06-23-16, 12:59 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by FormeriPhoney
Put 60 miles in past 3 days.

Can someone recommend a route with some more elevated climbs? I notice pretty much all that I have done is flat road.
Maybe something little more North in Long Island but not too far East?
Oyster Bay has Mill Hill, if you're ready for a climb.... Can you get to route 107 North? Try turning right on Chicken Valley Road, which was completely repaved in April, 2016 (about eight weeks ago)... Start with the long shallow grade, cresting at Frost Pond Road (traffic light) a descent passing a cemetery, then a second climb, a bit steeper. The road has curves the whole way. a third climb on Chicken Valley, but shallower...When you get to Oyster Bay / Glen Cove road, turn right again at the flashing yellow traffic light, you will have Two very big hills, in about 1.4 miles... But please, do a brake test before the second descent !

So you will have five hill climbs in about 8.5 miles...

These photos were taken while riding i the opposite direction of what I just described:

Chicken Valley Road by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Chicken Valley Road_4344 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Pictures from Chicken Valley Road, about two months ago, a joy to ride, with the fresh asphalt!

Last edited by hotbike; 06-23-16 at 01:04 PM.