Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
[QUOTE=tjkoko;18866648]
Originally Posted by canklecat
.......................While I've had good experiences with a couple of chiropractors, that's mostly because of the massage and consequent improvements in circulation and reduction of swelling. There's nothing magical about chiropractic treatment, and aligning joints is mostly hocus pocus -- the alignment vanishes as soon as you move again. But some chiropractors have great hands and if it feels good, do it............QUOTE]

From a fall that I took I suffered sciatica for a couple of years and during that time I sensed that something had gone awry with my pelvis. Only after a single chiropractic adjustment both the sciatica and pelvic misalignment were gone and I've felt fine for over 35 years without a relapse..
I don't completely discount the work of chiropractors. I'm just not convinced the therapy works the way some of them believe.

My last chiropractor, whom I saw for a year after a nasty car wreck broke several vertebrae in my back and neck, was a former lumberjack and military special forces. Although he'd also suffered injuries on the job, he was -- as you'd expect -- strong as an ox. His manipulations of my hips, back and neck (I wouldn't trust anyone else on my neck) all felt great and over time helped with the chronic pain. But I suspect it had more to do with improving blood flow, reducing swelling, etc., than with "alignment". All the stuff a good masseuse might do.

On the other hand, the next best chiropractor I've been treated by was a tiny little guy, not strong at all. He needed more office equipment than most chiropractors to assist with his practice. But the guy had magic hands. Seemed like it took very little physical effort to be effective. Coincidentally he and I used to participate in local live theater plays and I nearly missed a performance once due to a migraine that made me so nauseated I couldn't stand up. I thought he was going to do a neck manipulation, but after asking a few questions he said, "Nope, it's your gut, your GI tract that's giving you trouble." He massaged my abdomen and, sure 'nuff, the migraine was gone within a few minutes. Damnedest thing I've ever experienced. Maybe it was the power of suggestion, but he's the sole reason why I won't completely discount chiropractic treatment, even if my logical side says it's mostly hocus pocus.