View Single Post
Old 06-28-16, 08:46 AM
SundayNiagara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
LOL, I hear you. But look, a stronger built wheel for a heavier rider also means that it will last longer on rough streets than a lighter wheel will. So it depends on what you want, a lightweight wheel that you may have to replace every 5 years or 10,000 miles, or a slightly heavier wheel that could last 30 years or 30,000 miles.

When I bought my last new bike, meaning my last new bike I'll ever buy, in 2013 the sales guy was very clued into real life, he asked me what condition my roads were in where I live and if I ever might ride on a gravel road, my road conditions are rough where I live, and I have chip and seal out in the country and sometimes I may find myself on a hard packed gravel road, so he sold me a stronger wheelset designed for a heavier rider that I am not, but the wheel will hold up better in real life riding. He and I did the same thing when it came to the fork, I got a fork made for a 275 pound rider instead of a 220 pound rider even though I'm below the 220 pound limit of the fork, because the fork will be taking a pounding on my rough roads so the slightly heavier fork will hold up a lot better.

So it boils down which is more important for you, light weightness, or durability; for me I leaned more towards durability since I don't race nor do I care if someone passes me!
The streets in Hialeah are like riding through a nasty junkyard, but fortunately, I have a nice park with a bike path just north of me and bike-pathed Miami Springs on the south side. I own a Jeep Cherokee, so transporting the bike is easy. Plus, there are plenty of other parks within a short drive, which contain well-maintained bike paths.