View Single Post
Old 06-29-16, 12:23 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
rebuild option
So, if we kept our frame and fork, what would be an expected range of cost to rebuild our T900?
Has anyone been there and done that?

T900
We have enjoyed our T900. Our frame of reference is our previous bike was a Trailmate with 3" tires.
No one could keep the rear wheel (with a spoke size no one stocked) trued. We would ride down to the French Quarter and ride back with a rear tire rubbing on the frame or walk the bike back. So, the T900 was a nice step up.
We not only ride together, we also work long hours together. I personally do the interior restoration on our 100+ year old home, plus have 2 hobbies. So, I am not going to become our bike mechanic, other than changing a flat or a seat. I admire those of you who do your own work. We have a bike shop walking distance from us and we will continue to use a bike shop for repairs and maintenance, whether its keeping our 13 year old T900 going or working on a new bike.
The models we are looking at may, indeed, as one poster says, be overkill for our riding habits. I am enjoying and learning from the input in this thread from people with different perspectives. Keep it coming. One of my goals is to get input on what a new bike would do for us that would be worth the cost. We do not have to have a new bike. As of now, I am leaning toward test riding a da Vinci Grand Junction. It offers features we do not have (higher ground clearance, independent coasting, disc brakes, new components, and a much lighter weight). The lighter weight is not a concern while riding for us. Speed is not much of a big concern for us. But, 10 pounds lighter would be nice going up and down the front steps every morning and putting the bike in and out of a vehicle. The Grand Junction seems to be the most likely model to offer us things that might be worth the cost given our usage. I am going to start a new thread to see if anyone will share their experience with a Grand Junction.

Regarding why we do not buy another T900, it takes 2 votes for us to buy another bike, and we have a veto on the color. Since we do not have to have a new bike, if we buy one, whether it is a $1,000+ T900 or KHS, a $2,000+ Haka, or a $3,000+ Grand Junction or Mocha, we would both have to really like the bike, including the color. Black, silver, and white cannot get 2 votes in favor. The Grand Junction comes in metallic blue and metallic red, either of which could garner 2 favorable votes.

Santana
My stoker has vetoed all 3 colors (orange, light blue, and bright green). So, The Smooth is no longer being considered. That will save me from having to research the internal gear transmission on the Santana

Last edited by jethro00; 06-29-16 at 01:10 PM.