styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Am I crazy to think about the idea of a decent frame with a coaster brake on the rear wheel? Just as a 3-5 mile get around town bike that isn't a bore to ride.
I'm lucky enough to have a Lotus Sprint that came with mounted brakes, so about it's not beating a road bike into a fixie, as much as just having a very simple, but easy rider.

I am not about performing any amputations, so no need to rant about that here.
You already know what I think of the idea (yesterdays one part wonder thread). It is a wonderful thing! As a run-around-bike it is perfect. Yes - the brake is not very effective but it works well enough for the intended use.

As I wrote earlier I do like the vintage 2-speed "automatic" Torpedo/Sachs Duomatic. A slight back pedal gives you the second gear. It takes some getting use to - if being in low gear and then stopping - remembering to brake two times to be able to start in low gear again. When I used my set up on a good frame and with good rims and tires (these hubs were to 99% put on clunkers here) as a pub-bike I could scare some guys at dragraces between lights. They thought I would spin out on my only gear... Surprise..!

https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2...uomatic-story/
It says in the article that the 36 spoke is rare. Not here. I guess I could buy ten in a day if I wanted to.

I built my mom a coaster brake for her 65th birthday. It is actually a Torpedo 3-speed but locked in one gear. She loved it and still does but has quit biking since some years (now 83).

A Miata One Ten which got the handpainted flower power treatment. And very tight fitting fenders...