Old 07-01-16, 02:24 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Congratulations!

IMO- $220 for a bike of that caliber in that condition... I think you totally won.

I don't know if you've noticed how many people are mentioning this year of the Voyageur being a "lifetime" bike- The frame on this bike is a great geometry- great for being on it all day as well as 'upright' enough to ride in the city comfortably. It also has bosses for front and rear racks, as well as 3 bottles. Every component on this bike is really good as is- and it's all upgrade-able to more modern-y components if you so choose to.

Keep in mind, that's a tour-y wheelset with a 40 spoke rear. Those rims are among the best ever made- so if you do choose to upgrade wheels/more than 7 speeds, the existing wheels are really good. While I think most people have swapped out their 27" wheels for 700C, I've kept them on my tourers- first because the brake bosses were placed with that size rim in mind, and second- I'm aware I've gotten some really nice wheels for these bikes. Some people talk about the lack of 27" tires... I'm pretty happy between the Panaracer Pasela PT and the Sand Canyons. Maybe someday I'll make the switch...

Congratulations and enjoy your bike!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.