Old 07-02-16, 04:09 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartacus713
I currently drive a four door sedan and transport my road bike in the back seat with the front wheel off. The seats do not fold down. I use a 6X9 tarp to protect the seats.

All of the riding I do requires me to transport my bike around, so I have gotten used to having my bike in the back seat pretty much all the time. The problem is that I no longer have use of my back seat as a result.

So I was thinking about trading the sedan in and getting a mid-size SUV, maybe a Jeep Grand Cherokee...
I haven't used that specific model, but my dad (I feel obligated to mention I'm in my 30's lol) has owned several vehicles, both minivans and suv's, and always fits 2-3 bikes in the back there by removing the front wheel. You can easily keep it standing upright just by attaching a bungee cord to the bike and the headrest if you need to. Tinted rear windows, throw a dark blanket over it, it's not easy to see.

He doesn't tend to leave his car parked in dangerous or higher crime areas though.

Another alternative is of course to buy a folding bike and keep it in the trunk Montague makes some with 700c wheels, I think there are also a few others that are 26" and 27.5" wheels though they're heavier.

If you currently own a midsize sedan and are happy with it, you might also try taking off both the front and rear wheels. With practice it doesn't take that much longer, and it keeps your bike securely out of sight in the trunk.