View Single Post
Old 07-04-16, 07:10 AM
ArmChairRider

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Essentially what Deapee wrote. Water is the enemy. The manufacture's pre-lubed chain is super quite and silky smooth. I try to keep the chain adjusted tight enough so it won't oscillate and sling the grease out. "Usually", when I come back from a ride, I clean and lube the chain. That is when the chain is warmest and more apt to be cleaned with just oil. I put a few drop of (non drying) turbine oil on a mechanic's rag and rub the chain and replenish the rag with more oil as I clean the chain. (I use a bath towel for a more aggressive cleaning) Then I turn to a clean side of the rag and do the same but I add some Teflon powder 5 micron and Boron Nitride (Hexagonal) 5 micron to the rag. Replenishing as I go, the chain will be super slick.
Crossing my fingers and hoping I don't get drenched in the rain. I'll be going a different route to attack water. Instead of repelling the water I'll use 99 percent Isopropyl Alcohol to absorb the water and then spin it out and re-oil my chain.
Probably hazardous to my smoking though.

Last edited by ArmChairRider; 07-04-16 at 11:07 PM. Reason: changed 'vibrate' to 'oscillate' and other things