View Single Post
Old 07-04-16, 08:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
You know, I think a lot of people on BF are either absent a sense of humor, or have poor reading comprehension. I OBVIOUSLY wrote that post to be funny--as you and a bunch of the early responses understood--and to conjure the ghost of RyanF by using some of his phrases that are now BF memes. I don't really understand the people that pile in being obnoxious and critical and serious. (I feel bad for them, actually.) I thought I made it pretty clear that the only reason a middle-aged man like me could dust a 25 year-old was because he was on a fixie, yet people chimed in saying "yeah, but he was on a fixie!" I mean, duh? This is the 50+ FORUM! We're all older, and many of us have chronic illnesses, so little victories count! (And the actual little Victory contained in the story was my heart rate at speed, not beating a kid spinning out. I guess some people don't or can't read the posts before commenting.)

In my case, the kid was actually trying to keep me from passing him, and I led him for 2 miles, give or take, and at our age, that does indeed feel good.

This place is full to overflowing with bad-tempered curmudgeons, I tell you.
It's not that you passed the guy. Seriously, good for you.

It's the insults - using the term hipster as a pejorative and making the other rider look foolish and stupid. You called him a fool outright in your post. It has nothing to do with being a curmudgeon or lacking sense of humor. Some people don't find insults and jokes at other people's expense to be funny, that's all.

I'm glad you got your victory but the story would have been better without the insults.

-Tim-