Old 07-07-16, 10:09 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think the sprints have been too fast for organized leadouts. Kittel had two guys but couldn't hold the wheel of his leadout guy. I think Katusha had two guys but Kristoff went backward in the sprint.

McLay was impressive but came up a bit short. He was faster than most everyone else though. I think he'll be a good sprinter. He's the guy that did that nutty sprint earlier this year. He's obviously comfortable with the slicing and dicing of a free for all sprint.

About bike throws - it seems unprofessional not to know/execute basic technical skills. The two skills I see misused or not used are that totally unrelated to actual "physical training" (and therefore ought to be somewhat practiced by everyone who might need them) are bike throws and cornering. Bike throws are sort of a less used skill, but imagine you're a domestique allowed to get into the days' break and then you lose because you don't throw your bike well?

In Cadel's Tour he sprints against Contador for one stage. Contador may not have won the stage even with a great bike throw but he had a pretty poor bike throw (I just watched the DVD again).

In fact Cadel Evans is one rider that seems to be tactically very good. In Cadel's Tour, but also 2006/Floyd, the last two super DVD sets I watched, he's pretty much the only rider that sits out of the wind on switchback climbs. He carefully moves over to the left or right after a significant switchback to shelter from the wind. The other riders simply follow the one in front of them and end up getting hit by what's usually a crosswind (based on flags on the side of the road). Cadel also corners reasonably well.

Which brings me to the other skill some pros should practice. For me cornering poorly is really inexcusable. The two riders that come to mind immediately when thinking about cornering poorly are Levi Leipheimer and Michael Rasmussen. Levi in particular went off the front in some stage and gave away most of his gains on the descent as he screwed up corner after corner after corner. To make it worse he wasn't even alone - there was a guy with him yet Levi wouldn't/couldn't follow his lines. Rasmussen was painfully bad at cornering - you could tell where he was on a descent because there was a gap in front of him after each switchback and a rider diving into the turn way too early each time. These guys train (or dope or whatever) super hard and then give it back without a fight because they don't have some technical stuff down.

There are magnificent technical riders, like Sagan or Cancellara, but not everyone needs to be, or can be, that good. However if you're making a living as a pro then you should have some basic skills like knowing how to corner or throwing your bike at the line well. This simply complements their immense physical talents and lets them eek out the last bit of performance on the bike.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson