View Single Post
Old 07-07-16, 10:38 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by hansmanos
I posted this thing on "what's it worth?" a couple of days ago and ended up bringing her home. My current daily is a Novara Big Buzz, so I was looking for something a little sexier and more fun to ride up hills. I ended up with this Peugeot, which I hope to do a lot of cleaning and refurbishing to in the coming months. This is my first vintage bike.

I'm eager to learn from this community; from the response to my original post, I can tell you guys are very helpful and willing to share your knowledge. Here are my first set of questions:

1) What year is this thing?

2) Any chance of saving the rusty chain, or should I go new?

3) Would you move the shifters back?

4) Any recommendations for a longer stem? I'd like one as long as possible that still looks good.

5) What else would you do to her, besides tape and cleaning and general tune-up?

Thanks!
1) 1972

2) Chains are consumables. New ones are better anyway. KMC 6/7/8 is fine.

3) It's up to you but I wouldn't. It's a period correct upgrade and probably more desirable to most people today. Are they simplex bar ends? if so, extremely rare and rad.

4) Merckx used Cinelli on his PX10, so that gets my vote. Typical length would be maybe 10-11cm (vs like 3 that's on there). Frenchie stems were 22.0 vs 22.2 for everyone else. You can sand a normal 22.2 stem slightly so it fits, but try it first cuz often it's not necessary. Easier if you start with a vintage un-anodized stem so you don't have to sand and polish the whole thing.

Don't forget handlebar compatibility. Borrow, buy or otherwise acquire a vernier caliper. Loosen stem and measure bar diameter. If it is 25.0, you have to look for vintage french stem, or buy new bars, or shim.

5) Replace all the consumables. Tires (pasela good and cheap), tubes, rim tape, handlebar tape. I'd suggest new cables and housing all around. VO braided stuff is very good. Probably new brake hoods too. Rustines are just like the originals.

Get yourself a tube of simichrome or wenol for the aluminum parts and go to town.