View Single Post
Old 07-08-16, 06:30 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad you did decide to purchase the Pug, it should make you a wonderful, smooth riding bike, for many years if you get things sorted well, and then maintain it, but nothing OCD about what maintenance to do. I am probably just repeating the things folks above have already stated, but here is my 2¢ worth and that is probably overvalued, too.

I would take time to take it down and get the bearings all cleaned and greased (the bottom bracket, wheels, pedals, etc.) replace all the cables, and housings if those are questionable. I would definitely replace that chain, that will be something that should not even be thought about keeping if you are going to ride this nice bike.

Stems are something that should be a matter of fitting you, as said eBay has just about any make you could want, in most lengths that have been made over the years. Personally, I would seek out a period correct Cinelli, in the length suited for you, and some 3ttt, or Cinelli bars wrapped in a quality cloth tape of the color you like. The bar end shifters would stay, just clean and service them, you will thank everyone that told you this.

What Rootboy said about the rear derailleur top jockey wheel, replace that one if you decide to keep the Simplex components. If you don't keep them find some nice SunTour derailleurs, from eBay, or from someone here that offers them up for sale or to swap. I had a bad experience with the Simplex Delrin mechanicals back in 1971, and I have stayed far away from them. Up to you, some here have successfully used them, but as said, they are ~50 years old now.

Tires, Panaracer Paselas in gumwall, probably either a 25 or a 28 width. Then put it together with care, do things correctly (no corners cut on this one,) use quality grease, and measure when you need to measure. Enjoy this one, as everyone said, its a definite keeper, you done good, sir, you done good.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-08-16 at 06:34 AM.