TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
That's always been my thought with pro basketball players and free throws. If that's what you make your living doing, why not spend your free time doing it until you get it right? If I suck at free throws (or cornering or whatever), I have an excuse, I have a job/family/other priorities/whatever and don't practice as much as I should. But for me, that's just a hobby. Something I enjoy and put time available into it, but other things come first for me. For them, the basic technical skills of their sport is their job. On the other hand, I'm at my job right now and am posting on BF, so I'm obviously not working on getting the last few minute performance benefit crumbs from my job either.
Malcolm Gladwell has a good podcast about this. the gist is granny style is best for free throws, but players won't do it because it looks dumb. I bet some of that kind of attitude is present in the pro tour, as in "taking time learn to descend is lame, if I do intervals I can win the watt contest." Or maybe it's just laziness.