Old 07-11-16, 05:36 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
What I don't understand is why a World Class Cyclist on a $15,000.00 bike can't outrun an overweight person on foot.
It is not a question of outrunning the spectators that are out on the course, its running into one that steps into your path at the last moment, or as in Froome's case, the spectator was getting much too close to the bars. There have been many racers go down hard due to a spectator grabbing or bumping their handle bars, or simply knocking them off the bike by running into the course and into the bike(s.) Several have intentionally grabbed the bars or other parts of the bike, or even the rider, causing a crash. And, all of these can cause a multi bike pile up.

The racer's bike handling skills, not the cost of their bike isn't part of the equation, if this is how you see things, I won't waste your, or my time, trying to tell you anything more. I don't want the riders hitting anyone, but if the spectators keep interfering with the races, and putting riders in danger, I cannot blame them for taking action as Froome did in this episode. I do feel that the UCI was wrong in issuing a fine to Froome for protecting himself. I hope that either Sky, or the other riders took up the money for the fine, as a token protest about the handling of this by the UCI.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13