View Single Post
Old 07-11-16, 06:00 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
They'll lose about 15 PSI overnight. I'd guess about 3-5 PSI during a century, but I've never checked. I haven't flatted one, so the durability issue seems to be a non-issue. But they do ride nicely.

I start mine at 110PSI before every ride, and don't really notice and change as I ride. I'll have to check after the next long ride and see.

I've been using latex tubes (almost exclusively) since I switched from tubulars to my carbon clinchers (about 3 years). I've found as long as you stay away from the ultralight latex tubes (vredestein makes one), they're plenty durable. I've found them more resistant to blowouts - they often don't go completely flat- if I'm close enough to home I'll just pump it back up once or twice and it gets me there. They're also easy to repair (with standard patches and glue). The only drawback to them not going completely flat is I've had to partially inflate the tube and hold it underwater to find the pinhole (not really a problem). They do tend to lose 10-15 psi overnite, but I haven't had an issue w/ losing too much during the day. I use my commute as a training ride - pump the tires up to 95-100 psi before I leave, get into work around 5:30 am and leave around 3-3:30 PM. Never had an issue w/ air pressure for the ride home, nor on long rides (100-200 mi).