Thread: Need to Vent
View Single Post
Old 07-12-16, 08:33 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Okay, which bozo thought it would be a good idea to flip the gear shifters so that my right thumb gears down, and my left thumb gears up? I'm constantly getting them mixed up, and it's ANNOYING.

Aaah, I feel better, thanks.
I used to think the same thing. But you get used to it. Apparently it's easier to move the chain to a larger sprocket when tightening the cable tension, thus stretching the spring in the derailleur (both front and rear). Conversely, releasing the cable/spring tension is easier to shift to a smaller sprocket. And it just so happens that the larger sprocket up front is the harder gear, and the larger sprockets in the rear are the easier gears.

Originally Posted by FrankJ
Because drivers are inherently selfish. Protected in their box, they don't have to have social interaction with other drivers and so it's all me, me, me. *I* have to be in front, *I* have to be first. Who cares, I'll never see them again!

Driving really does bring out the worst in people.
Yep, "me first" is why traffic jams form at merge points on highways. Nobody wants to leave a gap and let people merge in front of them in a "zipper" pattern. They think that keeping the space as small as possible to the next car in front will somehow get them there faster.