View Single Post
Old 07-13-16, 05:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Chain cleaner hatred must end.

This is a "not-in-service" hub/cassette used only for drive train maintenance? That's a really clever idea.

However, if you de-spoke and your wheel each time you clean the chain...well, maybe not efficient enough for most of us...

Seriously, I've found that the chain cleaners are perfect for mountain bike applications, where the chain picks up sand/dirt/mud/grit regularly and must be cleaned just to keep the drive train working. Especially when on the road and doing end-of-day service on a multi day ride. Something you can reasonably do in a hotel parking lot, for example. Although I don't cyclocross, there might be an application there, too, depending on one's maintenance habits.

For a road bike, it doesn't really make sense. I've settled into a routine of lube and wipe for the chain every few weeks on each bike. My chains seem to last long enough, although I don't keep records. I can't be bothered to analyze any data concerning my bike riding...